Elon Musk, Tesla’s CEO made a series of wild predictions on 22nd April about the capability of his company’s cars to entirely drive on their own. Musk thinks that the day will come soon than his competitors and it might happen at the end of this year. Musk made the comments during an event where investors were only invited. The event was held at Tesla’s Palo-Alto headquarters putting across a near-future vision, where self-driving Tesla’s vehicles would compete with Waymo, Uber, and GM.
Some of the conclusion from Tesla’s main event is mentioned below:
1. Tesla revealed a new microchip that Musk stated was being included in every new Tesla produced
today. It’s a high-performance, special-purpose chip built by Samsung in Texas, manufactured
with autonomy and safety in mind.
2. The company is through the middle of the design process for the next-generation chip, which
Musk presumes would be about three times better than the present system.
3. Musk assumes that by the middle of 2020, Tesla’s autonomous system will improve to the point
where drivers won’t need to pay attention to the road.
4. He stated that the company will launch autonomous taxis next year in some parts of the US.
5. Tesla will have more than a million of robotaxis and self-driving cars.
6. These cars will be Level 5 autonomy with no geofence. The car can drive on their own on the
the planet, under all possible conditions, with no boundaries.
7. Tesla robotaxis would help owners to generate up to $30,000 a year in profit.
8. Musk vowed that Tesla would soon be making cars that could last for at least one million miles
while requiring minimal maintenance.
However, Musk has been condemned for emphasizing the autonomous capabilities of Tesla’s vehicles and also on the beta testing semi-autonomous features. While the prediction of AI chip is noteworthy, other predictions have been criticized.