Yesterday’s match at Southampton was a very thrilling one. It brought smiles to the faces of Indian fans and dreary look on the face of South African fans. Well, the agony of the Proteas continued in this year’s World Cup tournament, as they faced their third successive defeat.
The Proteas were restricted to 227/9 in front of beautiful bowling performance made by Indian bowlers. In order to reach that target, India took only 47.3 overs under the tricky conditions to bat. South Africa captain Faf du Plessis won the toss and decided to bat first; however, superb bowling by Jasprit Bumrah left his side wobbling. Added to that India leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal took four wickets in a negligible total of 227 for nine. India’s Rohit Sharma navigated his team to victory with an unbeaten 122.
Match Stats: How India Played Their First Match against South Africa
1. South Africa lost each of their last four World Cup matches including three matches in this edition. The Proteas had not lost over two matches in a succession in World Cups before this
2. India won each of their last six meetings in the ICC events against South Africa.
3. Yuzvendra Chahal became only the 3rd Indian to secure a 4-wicket pull on World Cup debut.
4. Rohit Sharma’s unbeaten 122 in this game is the 2nd highest individual score by an Indian in a
World Cup chase.
5. India won each and every World Cup match while chasing a target of 230 and below.
6. Rohit Sharma finished 8000 runs as an opener in International cricket. He became the 9th player
to collect 12000 and more runs in International cricket for India.
7. South Africa innings is the first in the World Cups where No.7, No.8 and No.9 players scored 30+
for the same innings.